Welcome to part 2 of my series on my DIY WiFi Sprinkler Controller using ESP8266. Last week I wrote an article on the hardware involved in the project, definitely check it out if you haven’t already. It goes in depth to all the components used. Today’s article will be looking closer at the software of the system. Including the firmware running on the device and the Home Assistant integration.
Thinking about getting a smart sprinkler controller for your house? Want completely local control using no cloud services? Today’s article walks through the hardware I used to create my own DIY WiFi sprinkler controller using an ESP8266. I’ll be going over the software portion in part 2 of the series. The goals of the project are:
- Control my sprinkler system in an automated fashion, but still turn on individual zones manually when needed
- No reliance on the cloud, should work over local network
- Be extendable to any number of zones relatively easy
- Keep the controller simple, keep the scheduling logic on the home automation platform
- Inexpensive to build, but must be reliable
Part of your house not covered by your current WiFi Network? Have an old access point or router laying around that you’re not using? Even though today’s routers are more powerful than ever, you still may have dead zones at your house. I enjoy listening to music and podcasts while working in my garage and … [Read more…]